Peanut Butter Brookies
What are Peanut Butter Brookies? They are Brownies and Peanut Butter Cookies combined into one super delicious dessert bar chock full of peanut butter and chocolate flavor. Delish!
We have been working on a Brookie recipe for quite a while. We tried so many different baking techniques and recipes and we always ended up with an overdone cookie layer and a raw brownie layer. But not this time! These Peanut Butter Brookies are perfect if we don’t say so ourselves. Super yummy and they bake up great every time. We hope you love them as much as our family did!
How to Make Peanut Butter Brookies
Step 1: First, prepare a 9 x 13″ pan. We sprayed ours with Pam and then fit a piece of parchment paper across the pan. When the Brookies were cooked and cooled, we used the flaps of the parchment paper to lift the cookie bars out of the pan. Easy peasy.
Step 2: We used a box mix for our Brownies. We like Ghirardelli Brownie mixes but you can use your own favorite. (Or a homemade brownie recipe!). Make sure that you use a Family Sized mix so you’ll have enough brownie batter to fill the 9×13″ pan and have a nice thick layer of brownie in your Peanut Butter Brookies. We made the batter according to the directions on the box with one exception, we added one cup of Peanut Butter Chips to the brownie batter. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place the brownies in the oven. You will bake the brownies for 15 minutes before you add the cookie layer. This will allow the brownies to cook and rise before they are covered with the heavier cookie layer. We tried many different methods and this was the only way we got a Brookie that wasn’t burned on the outside and raw in the middle.
Step 3: While the Brownies are in the oven, make the dough for the Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies. Cream the butter and the peanut butter. Add a 1/4 cup of flour and mix. Mix in the granulated sugar and the brown sugar. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Add baking soda and baking powder. Mix in the remaining amount of flour. Finally, add 3/4 cups of Mini Chocolate Chips.
Adding the Cookie Layer to the Brownies
Step 4: Press the Peanut Butter Cookie dough onto a piece of parchment paper and press it out until it is approximately the size of a 9×13″ pan. Cut into pieces.
Step 5: At the 15-minute mark, remove the brownies from the oven. Carefully and quickly place the cookie dough pieces onto the semi-baked brownies.
Step 6: Don’t worry about breaks, the cookie layer will melt together as it bakes. When the brownie is covered in cookie dough place the pan back in the oven.
Step 7: Bake for another 20-30 minutes or until the cookie layer has cooked and is golden brown and delicious. Keep an eye on the baking process in the last 10 minutes, we placed a piece of foil over the pan for the last 5 minutes to keep the top from browning too much at the end of the process. Once the Peanut Butter Brookies are cooked, removed them from the oven and allow them to cool. Once cooled, you can use the parchment paper handles to easily pull the Brookies out of the pan.
Step 8: Cut the Brookies into bars. Yum! These Peanut Butter Brookies are perfectly baked and oh so yummy! Eat them warm or when cooled. They are great both ways!
Other Brownie Recipes You Will Love
- 1 box Brownie Mix (Family size box)
- Eggs (according to directions on box mix)
- Oil (according to directions on box mix)
- Water (according to directions on box mix)
- 1 cup Peanut Butter Chips
Peanut Butter Cookie Layer
- 1/2 cup Butter (Sweet Cream, Salted)
- 1/2 cup Peanut Butter (heaping)
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar (packed)
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- Mix brownie batter according to the directions on the box.
- Add Peanut Butter chips (optional)
- Pour Brownies into a prepared 9x13" pan.
Peanut Butter Cookie Layer
- Cream the butter and peanut butter in a mixer until fully combined.
- Add 1/4 cup of flour and mix until the flour is incorporated.
- Mix in granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla until the dough is fluffy.
- Add in baking soda and baking powder.
- Mix in the remaining 2 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time.
- Bake brownies in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Make cookie dough.
- Press cookie dough into a flat layer approximately the size of a 9x13" pan.
- Remove brownies from the oven.
- Place cookie dough onto the semi-baked oven.
- Put Brookies back into the oven
- Cookie 20-25 minutes more or until cookie layer is golden brown.
- Allow to cool.
- Cut into bars.