We love how this delicious Butter Rum Buttercream Frosting turned out! Creamy and buttery with just a hint of rum extract, it tastes just like a butter rum hard candy. Your family will beg you to make this yummy frosting again and again.
How to make Butter Rum Buttercream Frosting
You will need:
- 1 pound (4 cups) of Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup Butter (We use Salted Sweet Cream Butter)
- 1-2 tablespoons of Milk
- 1 teaspoon of Rum Extract
- Wilton Color Right Food Coloring – Yellow & Brown
- Decorating Bags
- Wilton 2D Decorating Tip
I use my food scale to measure 1 pound of Powdered Sugar. (If you don’t have a food scale the equivalent would be 4 cups.) You can sift the powdered sugar if it is really lumpy. I do not always do this. Instead I will mix the powdered sugar on low for 30 seconds to break up any large lumps.
Add 1 cup (2 sticks) of softened butter. I only ever use real butter, but you can use whatever you have on hand. Although I think margarine changes the taste, your buttercream frosting made with margarine will still be better than canned frosting.
Subscribe to get our FREE "It's All About the Frosting" e-Book
This great frosting resource includes:
- Printable versions of 3 of our most popular frosting recipes.
- Frosting tips & tricks + answers to our most frequently asked questions.
Start your mixer (or electric beater) on the lowest setting. I usually put a clean dishtowel around my mixer to keep the sugar from flying out. Keep on low until the butter and sugar are incorporated and then kick your mixer up to medium high.
Add 1 tablespoon of milk. I keep the milk handy to add at the end if I need to thin it out. Once fully incorporated, after a minute or so, stop the mixer and check the consistency and taste. At this point your frosting may be a little dry. Add a little bit of extra milk, mix and check again.
Now add 1 teaspoon Rum Extract and mix until incorporated. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS taste your frosting. You are trying to determine if the consistency is wrong, if it needs more milk, etc.
Rum Extract is clear so the frosting will look like plain Buttercream Frosting. We wanted our Butter Rum Frosting to look like a Butter Rum hard candy so we added a tiny drop of yellow and a tiny drop of brown Wilton Color Right Food Coloring to the frosting.
Now you are ready to frost your dessert with a super yummy Butter Rum Buttercream Frosting that will enhance whatever you put it on! If you need some ideas you can try our Eggnog Cupcake with Butter Rum Frosting!
P.S. Let’s stay in touch! If you liked our Butter Rum Buttercream Frosting post, click here to sign up for our Email Newsletter!
More Great Frosting Recipes …
- 4 cups of powdered sugar (or 1 box)
- 1 cup of softened butter
- 1-2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 teaspoon Rum Extract
- Add powdered sugar to mixing bowl.
- Add softened sticks of butter
- Add 1 tbsp of milk.
- Beat on low until powdered sugar is incorporated. Then move mixer up to medium-high speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When completely mixed the frosting may appear dry.
- Add more milk, a little bit at a time until frosting is the proper consistency.
- Add Rum Extract
If you want to stay up-to-date on all our Frosting posts, Follow Two Sisters Crafting on Pinterest!