Nancy and I went on a bit of a sparkling sugar baking spree. Once we figured out we could make our own sparkling sugar, we wanted to put it on everything. The sugar looked so on our Elsa and Anna sugar cookies, we decided to try it as the main decoration on a cookie. It turned out great. Adding the sparkling sugar turned out to be an easy and fun way to spruce up a frosted sugar cookie.
How to Make Frozen Sparkling Sugar Cookies
You will need:
- Best Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Best Buttercream Frosting
- DIY Sparkling Sugar
- Heart Cookie Cutter
- Americolor Royal Blue Food Coloring
- Americolor Sky Blue Food Coloring
- Americolor Navy Food Coloring
- Americolor Soft Pink Food Coloring
- Americolor Fushia Food Coloring
- Americolor Leaf Green Food Coloring
Our Frozen Sparkling Sugar Cookies start with our Best Sugar Cookie Recipe. This sugar cookie dough is easy to work with, tastes great and really holds it’s shape during the baking process. You can find the recipe and detailed instructions on how to make the dough here.
We used a heart cookie cutter to make these pretty “frozen heart” sugar cookies.
For the Anna’s Frozen Heart Sparkling Sugar Cookies you will need a batch of our Best Buttercream Frosting (you will find the recipe and detailed directions here.) To create the blue and pink Anna colors, we used Americolor Food Coloring in the following amounts:
- Pink – 2 drops of Super Pink, 2 drops of Americolor Fushia and 1 very tiny drop of Americolor Navy food coloring.
- Blue – 3 drops of the Royal Blue food coloring and 1 drop of Navy food coloring
If you are going to make the Elsa’s Sparkling Sugar Cookies you will need to prepare another batch of Best Buttercream Frosting. To create the two shades of Elsa blue, we used Americolor Sky Blue and Royal Blue Food Coloring in the following amounts:
- Light Blue – 1 1/2 Drops of Sky Blue Food Coloring
- Dark Blue – 3 Drops of Sky Blue Food Coloring and 1 Drop of Royal Blue Food Coloring
We also made homemade sparkling sugar in Anna blue and pink. The great thing about making your own sparkling sanding sugar is that you can get it the exact color of your frosting. You can find the detailed instructions for making this sparking sugar here. We used Americolor Food Coloring in the following amounts:
- Pink – 1 drop of Super Pink, 1 drop of Americolor Fushia and 1 very tiny drop of Americolor Navy food coloring.
- Blue – 2 drops of the Royal Blue food coloring and 1 small drop of Navy food coloring
Finally we made some homemade sparkling sugar in the blue Elsa colors. We used Americolor Sky Blue and Royal Blue Food Coloring in the following amounts:
- Light Blue – 1/2 Drop of Sky Blue Food Coloring
- Dark Blue – 2 Drops of Sky Blue Food Coloring and 1 Drop of Royal Blue Food Coloring
Now that you have the cookies, frosting and sparkling sugar made, these Frozen Sparkling Sugar Cookies could not be easier to make. First, cover the heart shaped sugar cookie with colored buttercream frosting.
Sprinkle matching Sparkling Sugar over the frosting.
Tap the excess sugar off of the cookies and you are DONE! These cookies look so pretty in these iconic Anna blue and pink colors.
And they look just as pretty in the light and dark blue Elsa colors. And nothing tastes better than a sugar cookie with buttercream frosting! Elsa’s Sparkling Sugar Cookies are a great dessert idea for a Frozen Birthday Party.
And Anna’s Frozen Heart Sugar Cookies are a fun alternative for a Frozen Party with an Anna themed color scheme instead of the traditional blue and white Elsa Frozen theme. Either way, they taste great and party guests will love these homemade cookies.
P.S. Let’s stay in touch! If you liked our Frozen Sparkling Sugar Cookies post, [thrive_2step id=’10744′]click here to sign up for our Email Newsletter![/thrive_2step]
**This post contains affiliate links but we only recommend products that we actually used and liked. Thanks for supporting Two Sisters Crafting!
More Fun Disney Frozen Party Ideas …
If you want to stay up-to-date on all our Frozen Party posts, Follow Two Sisters Crafting on Pinterest!